This year’s FPS Photography Competition (deadline 31 December 2009) has three categories:
- Work or Play
- Sunrise or Sunset
Here are some tips for taking stunning pictures of sunrises and sunsets (full details and a few more tips can be found here):
- Think Ahead – scope out good places and find out when the sun will set or rise
- Shoot At A Variety Of Focal Lengths – do you want a sweeping landscape shot or something zoomed in?
- Silhouettes As Focal Points – think of an attractive point of interest incorporating silhouettes
- Rule Of Thirds – it’s often good to place key elements off-centre
- Shoot At A Variety Of Exposures – abandon auto-mode and take some shots in aperture or shutter priority mode at different exposures
- Keep Shooting – until you’re sure it’s all over!
I hope you find these tips helpful and we’re looking forward to your creative submissions!
Picture credit: Vicki Jull